Sermon Study Guide
The Father of the Faithful
Text: Romans 4:1-3
Introduction: This should remind us that Paul's teaching on the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is the o__ which had been p_______ b_________ in the writings of the Old Testament.
The rabbis of Paul's day would have taken him to task about this doctrine of justification by faith because they taught that God's salvation of His people was s_____ b____ upon m____.
The objection Paul is dealing with in Romans 4:1-3, obviously comes from the Jewish rabbis, but it is an o________ which might have i_______ some of the Jewish Christians, and perhaps of even some of the Gentile Christians in the church at R___.
In his answer to this objection, Paul actually accomplishes two things:
(1) He manages to show us the c_________ of God's plan of salvation, which is s_______ not p_____.
(2) He explains that the way of salvation has no room for b______ because any way of salvation suggested or manufactured by mankind allows a person to stand boastfully before God and m___ d______ on the basis of how g___ they are.
I. JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH IN C________ IN THE LIFE &
EXPERIENCE OF ABRAHAM (Rom. 3:29)
The C_________ of Grace
Paul explains that the gospel teaching about justification is in fact c________ in the life and experience of A______.
Paul appeals to the Jews to look closely at Abraham's story because it reveals the very o_______ of what they b_______ -- that salvation is by grace that is received by faith.
It is not that we are saved by f____, and the Jews are saved by w____. It is not that we are saved by C_____ and the Jews are saved by the blood sacrifices of a______. We are all saved by the same m____.
● The U____________ Nature of Grace
If our w____ have any place at all in our justification, then salvation is NOT by grace; and that fuels our e___ to b____ before God.
The Jews believed that Abraham was chosen by God because of his r____________. They also believed that he was s______ and did not need to r_____.
(1) Abraham b_______.
His belief was the i_________ by which he received the promise that God had first held out to him.
(2) Abraham was c______ r________.
(3) F____ is the m____ of receiving righteousness.